Dec 1, 2013

Meaning of the Song Ashai Mugam Marandu Poche

One of my friends sent me the link to Shankar Tucker's musical paradise, "The Shruti Box" YouTube channel. It has wonderful songs with great music, and Ahsai Mugam is one of them. Upon searching for this song's origins, I came to know that this song was written by Subramanya Bhaaratiyaar, A renowned writer and carnatic music composer. I have read on some website that he has wrote this song when he lost the only photograph of his mother who passed away when he was just 5.

Here is the video of this song on Shruti Box:

Here is the direct link to this song on shruti box.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3r6mPD3aY

(Edit)
Here is another video:

(/Edit)
Lyrics:

ஆசைமுகம் மறந்து போச்சே – இதை யாரிடம் சொல்வேனடி தோழி? ( Aasai mugam marandhu poachchae – idhai yaaridam solvaenadi thoazhi)
I have forgotten that lovely face, whom shall I share this grief with ?
நேசம் மறக்கவில்லை நெஞ்சம் – எனில் நினைவு முகம் மறக்கலாமோ? ( naesam marakkavillai nenjam – enil ninaivu mugam marakkalaamoa)
The heart has still not forgotten the love, alas how can I forget that memorable face?

கண்ணன் முகம் மறந்துபோனால் – இந்த கண்களிருந்து பயனுண்டோ? (Kannan mugam maranthuponal, intha Kangal irunthu payan undo )
If I forget the face of krishna, then what is the use of my eyes? (Krishna is a placeholder for his mother here).
வண்ணப் படமுமில்லை கண்டாய் – இனி வாழும் வழியென்னடி தோழி? ( Vanna padamumillai kandaai, ini Vaazhum vazhi ennadi thozhi )
I no longer have your photograph, now what is left in life,tell me my dear friend ?


The following part is not sung by iyer sisters, however, they seem interesting, so.

தேனை மறந்திருக்கும் வண்டும் – ஒளிச் சிறப்பை மறந்துவிட்ட பூவும்  (Thenai maranthirukum vandum, oli Sirapai maranthu vitta poovum)
வானை மறந்திருக்கும் பயிறும் – இந்த வையம் முழுதுமில்லை தோழி  ( Vaanai maranthirukum payirum, indha Vaiyam muzhuthum illai thozhi )
One cannot find in this whole world :
Bees that have forgotten honey
Flowers that forgotten the splendor of light
Crops that have forgotten the sky



The full song is here:

Aasaimugam maranthu poche, idhai yaaridam solven adi thozhi;
Nesam marakavillai nenjam, enil ninaivu mugam marakalaamo;
(Aasaimugam..)

Kannil theriyuthoru thotram, athil Kannan azhagu muzhuthillai;
Nannu mugavadivu kaanil, andha Nallamalar sirippai kaanom;
(Aasaimugam..)
A form is seen by my eyes, In which I do not see the full beauty of Krishna, When I see the form of his face, I am not able, To see his flower like smile in that.

Ooivu mozhidhalum illamal,avan Uravai ninaithirukum ullam
Vaayum uraipadhundu kandaai, andha Maayan pughazhinai eppodhum
(Aasaimugam..)
Without any hold of, my mind, thinks of my relationship with him, And you have seen that my mouth, Always speakes about his fame.

Kangal purindhu vitta paavam, uyir Kannan uru marakalachu
Pengal inathil edhu polae, oru Pedhayai munbu kandathundo
(Aasaimugam..)
Due to the sin done by my eyes, The form of Krishna was forgotten, Have you seen among women, An innocent one like this ever?

Thenai maranthirukum vandum, oli Sirapai maranthu vitta poovum
Vaanai maranthirukum payirum, indha Vaiyam muzhuthum illai thozhi
(Aasaimugam..)

Kannan mugam maranthuponal, intha Kangal irunthu payan undo;
Vanna padamumillai kandaai, ini Vaazhum vazhi ennadi thozhi;
(Aasaimugam..)

14 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSnGtyaLh0E

    Another version by Karthik, U will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utBPfITWcog

    Again another version by Suchitra, the awesome one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome versions of the song. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this composition. Thank you for enlightening me with the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh..God.....vidya..vandana....I can't forget these two pretty girls in my life..... i feeling heaven... wid their.... spiritual voices.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really awesome because it is made for our Krishna....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kannan mugam maranthuponal, intha Kangal irunthu payan undo;
    Vanna padamumillai kandaai, ini Vaazhum vazhi ennadi thozhi;

    ReplyDelete
  7. aasai mugam marandhu poche in english please.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ஓய்வு மொழிதலும் இல்லாமல்-அவன்
    உறவை நினைத்திருக்கும் உள்ளம்
    வாயும் உரைப்பதுண்டு கண்டாய்-அந்த
    மாயன் புகழினை எப்போதும்.
    oayvu mozhidhalum illaamal-avan
    uRavai ninaithirukkum uLLam
    vaayum uraippadhuNdu kaNdaay-andhdha
    maayan pugazhinai eppoadhum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best music just want this song to run till eternity but damn it gets over like everything else why god has made all things for such small time .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the meaning. It's precise and nicely explained. I would like to choreograph based on this.

    ReplyDelete